Willow Awards Gala
Saskatchewan Young Readers’ Choice – The Willow Awards invites schools/libraries to apply to host the Annual
What You Need to Know
- The Willow Awards Gala includes the announcement of the Willow Awards winners and the award presentations.
- It is a day event with author readings in the morning and the Gala and reception in the afternoon.
- There is a budget to bring one or more authors to the Gala to provide reading(s) to the host school or library.
- The Gala should be student-centered, involving students in a meaningful way.
- The Gala should not exceed 1 hour in length.
- The Gala should attract some media coverage.
- The Gala is live-streamed when possible.
- The SYRCA Board will reimburse the host school or library for expenses up to a stated limit (generally up to $500).
- The host school or library will receive a set of the 30 books nominated for that year, a willow tree and a commemorative plaque.
- The host school or library must be able to hold the Gala between the dates of May 21 and June 2. Applications outside of these dates may be considered.
- The Board of Directors of SYRCA will announce the successful Gala host in late November and provide them with a board liaison and a binder to help with planning.
Proposal Submission Details:
Please consider and include:
- Any ideas you have for getting students involved in reading the Willows prior to the Gala,
- Ideas for drama, musical presentations and/or visual art ideas that will be a part of the Gala program,
- Possible dignitaries who will be invited,
- Grade levels that will be involved in the gala presentation,
- Who will be on your planning team? – In the past, it has been helpful to have several people at the school/library involved in the planning and execution of the gala.
- Possible Hotel Accommodations for visiting authors and dignitaries – The cost of hotel accommodations and per diem meals for authors will be provided. These costs will be finalized in consultation with the board.
- Transportation arrangements to and from the airport and gala event for authors – Willow board members are not available to do this and depending on distances some authors may not be comfortable on their own.
- Include the date during the time frame of May 21 to June 2 that the Gala will occur and the location. Applications outside of these dates may be considered.
- To apply to host the Annual Gala, please complete this form by November 15th.
Gala Proposal Submission Online Form:Fill Out Form
16th Annual Gala at Warman Community Middle School
15th Annual Gala at Ecole Forest Grove School
14th Annual Gala at MacNeill Elementary School
The COVID-19 pandemic prevented us from hosting a gala celebration in the spring of 2020. However, students in Annaheim, SK and Regina, SK had an opportunity to introduce us to the 2019 winning authors. Their videos are below:
2019 Shining Willow winner Cale Atkinson
2019 Diamond Willow winner Joel A. Sutherland
2019 Snow Willow winner Kelley Armstrong
2014 Gala – Willow tree presentation
2015 Gala – Winning Authors Lisa Harrington and David Carroll
2015 Gala – Musical Number at Assiniboia Park Elementary School, Weyburn
2016 Gala – Enjoying the reception at MacNeill School
2016 Gala – Rona Arato accepting her Diamond Willow Award
2017 Gala – Book presentation from ULS to Ecole Forest Grove School