Willow Awards Launch
Each year, every school in the province is encouraged to launch the new Willow Award finalists! We are interested in sharing the great work you have done to promote this quality literature.
• Share your ideas with us!
• Send a picture or description of your launch activity(ies) to be entered for a book prize for your classroom or library.
• Whether it is a bulletin board, guest reader, special project – the sky is the limit!
• Send your information to us through our CONTACT US form. Please include an email address and other contact information so that we can reach you.
• One lucky entry will win the entire set of finalists.
• Runner up prizes are also awarded.
• Winners are randomly drawn from those who share their activities.
• Deadline is November 15th.
• Happy Reading!
Willow Launch 2018
Here are a selection of ideas submitted by some of the 2018 Launch winners:
- Displays of the Willow books on shelves, countertops and tables
- Bulletin boards showing the finalist book covers. Some are adding pictures of students who have read the book, thumbprints when a book is read, or leaves when each book is read. Some add numbers as voting begins.
- Willow Book Bracket – In an individual classroom, books were paired to go ‘head to head’. The teacher read aloud the first chapter of 2 books, and students would vote for which book they wanted to keep reading. In the second round, the teacher read the second chapter of the remaining books, etc. Finally, one book was chosen that the teacher finished reading to the class. After books “lost” a round, many students wanted to keep reading them on their own. It was a great way to preview and build engagement in the novels. Students got very passionate about their picks.
- Hogwarts theme with “The Whomping Willow”
- Reading Challenge with prizes – see OutlookReadingChallenge
Thank you to the following schools for taking the time to share the wonderful things you are doing to promote The Willow books in your schools. We wish we had book prizes for you all!:
- Outlook High School, Outlook
- Ruth Pawson School, Regina
- Traditions Elementary School, Warman
- Schell School, Holdfast
- Ecole Vickers Public School, Prince Albert
- Indian Head Public Library, Indian Head
- Rosetown Central High School, Rosetown
- Regina Christian School, Regina
- Westcliffe School, Marengo
- Annaheim School, Annaheim
- St Gregory School, Regina
- McVeety School, Regina
- Dr. Perry School, Regina
- DeShaye School, Regina
- Harbour Landing Schook, Regina
- Barr Colony Elementary School, Lloydminster
- Punnichy Elementary Community School, Punnichy
Willow Launch 2017
Here are a selection of ideas submitted by some of the 2017 Launch winners:
- Make a bulletin board display using the book cover pdf files found on our website here. Consider having a “student recommendation component”. As students vote, consider adding a voting tally for each of the books.
- Make a display area to highlight Willow books drawing attention to them and making them easy to find. Some people have used counter spaces, special shelving or baskets. Use The Willow Poster and or bookmarks as part of the display.
- Add Willow stickers, to the spine of books to help students find them on the library shelves.
- Booktalk the Diamond and Snow books with each grade 4-8 class. Encourage teachers to use some of these as read-alouds.
- Use the Shining books as read-alouds with classes during library visits or in the classroom literacy time.
- Classes reading the Shining Willows might want to create a Willow booklet with a page where they can draw a picture of their favourite part after they read each book. This sometimes helps them to remember what the stories were about when they do their voting.
- Plan to use some of The Willows for “Battle of the Books” selections.
Thank you to the following schools for taking the time to share the wonderful things you are doing to promote The Willow books in your schools:
- Punnichy Elementary School
- Deshaye Catholic School, in Regina
- Kerrobert Elementary School
- Ecole Harbour Landing School, in Regina
- Maymont Central School
- Maude Burke Elementary School in Melfort
- Rosetown Central High School
- Davin Elementary School in Regina
- Judge Bryant School in Regina
- Lloydminster Comprehensive High School.